.

September 5, 2010

Flowers: Spring vs Summer

The other day I was out taking pictures of the gorgeous flowers around the city. And as I was snapping away, my mind went back to 4 months ago when I was doing the same thing. However, the flowers in April were much different than the flowers in August. And I started thinking about these differences:

Spring flowers are pale in color
Summer flowers are bold in color



Spring flowers are light & airy
Summer flowers are heavy & sturdy



Spring flowers have a sweet fragrance
Summer flowers have an earthy fragrance
(I haven't yet figured out how to photograph fragrances, but I think you get the point!)



Spring flowers are elegant
Summer flowers are unpretentious



Spring flowers are full of energy
Summer flowers are easy-going



It's as if God uses His creation to go before us, reminding us of what's ahead. The flowers of spring seem so full of life, assuring us that the bleakness of winter can't last forever. Summer flowers seem to be preparing us for cooler weather ahead. By being darker, sturdier, earthier and lazier,
they alert us to a slower pace of life ahead.

Reminds me of one of my favorite verses...

The Lord himself goes before you & will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Deuteronomy 31:8

No comments:

Post a Comment