.

February 3, 2011

The Blizzard of 2011

{aka Snowmageddon, Snowpocalypse, End of the World}

I survived the blizzard of 2011!

Leading up to it, there was much hoopla about the amount of snow we should expect (up to 3 feet), the high winds that would come (60 mph), and the huge waves from Lake Michigan (25 feet)

Tuesday started off windy, but relatively quiet


view from my apartment

Then about 2:00, seemingly out of nowhere, the snow showed up. Blowing completely sideways.



The wind & snow increased & the news reports started rolling in.

Pictures on the news of downtown Chicago showed it was pretty much a ghost town.

As the evening progressed, the winds were howling. I could feel the cold air sweeping through my windows. Brrrr!

News that Lake Shore Drive is closed ... stranded drivers & bus passengers. So glad I wasn't commuting home from work, because I could've been one of those passengers.


courtesy of NBC 5 Chicago (link)

Skyped with my parents and they "showed" me all the snow they were getting.

Curled up on the couch with a blanket & a bowl of ice cream (this blizzard may cause me to gain some weight - I'm eating myself out of house & home)

Thundersnow! I've never heard of such a thing until today. But sure enough, in the middle of the blowing snow & wind, there were a flashes of lightening, then thunder.

And if the thundersnow wasn't dramatic enough, it was also hailing for a few minutes! I didn't know hail & snow could come down at the same time.

The snow was blowing so hard that the street below me was barely covered with snow.


February 1 - 5:00 p.m.

Woke up on Wednesday morning, glad to hear the wind had died down. I looked out my windows expecting the worst & there was hardly any snow! What?! How is that possible when the news is reporting 15+ inches? I'm not sure, other than the wind literally blew it away.


February 2 - 8:15 a.m.

Just when I thought the snow was done & clearing out, the lake effect starts around 9:00. It's whiteout again.



Once the snow tapered off, I ventured out to see what the rest of my neighborhood looks like.

If there was no snow on one side of my building, it's because it was all on the other side!

It's hard to tell in these photos, but some of the drifts were higher than my waist!









And Thursday, its clear & sunny, but freezing...-3 degrees



Is it spring yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment